Friday 21 May 2010

Tapas time


Ferris Bueller once said, 'Who could possibly go to school on a day like today?' I feel similarly about cooking when it's hot and sunny - who could possibly put on the oven, on a day like today? So we've just had tapas for tea.

This is really a huge cheat on my part - or rather me at my creative best - because let's make tapas really means let's raid the fridge for leftovers, put them in small bowls, use tiny forks and no plates - marvellous. Daisy tried tapas-tortellini for the first time today - this is a huge triumph by the way - and during our meal there was constant chatter about which combinations worked best. Sausage and houmous? Olive and cheese? How about cream cheese and bread-stick? OK, so I ate the lion's share of the carrot and cucumber batons but this meal really did get my two children excited about the concept of tasting new things and trying unusual combinations.

As they did so well with the savoury course I rustled up sweet tapas for pudding; fruit, chocolate bread-sticks and vanilla ice cream (unseen). I was very thankful for the tapas tray, a recent gift from my mother-in-law. As Ferris Bueller would say, 'If you have the means, I recommend you pick one up - it is so choice.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please leave your comment here.