Today I stayed at home with my five year old; he's been coughing and spluttering all over the place. He's accepted cuddles, warm drinks and listened to several audio books but I know how awful he's feeling because even the new snow hasn't tempted him outside. Instead we made these crystal icicles which I hung on a snowy branch in our garden. They've been spinning and glittering in the icy wind, catching the light and the attention of my poorly boy.
transparent plastic food packaging
a hole punch
white cotton thread
1. Cut the plastic packaging into icicles and crystals
2. Punch a hole in the top of each shape
3. Use clear wet glue to make icy patterns just where you like
4. Sprinkle granulated sugar and silver glitter over the glue
5. Thread a doubled length of white cotton through its hole and pass the ends through the loop
6. Knot the ends of the thread and hang on a branch of a tree or bush
Of course, they are impossible to photograph, but I do recommend you make some. They have certainly added sparkle, movement and magic to our winter garden today.