Wednesday 31 March 2010

Wheezles, sneezles and princesses



This is not the first time one of my children has been ill, of course. Thank goodness it's nothing serious, just another case of wheezles and sneezles. But surviving a day at home with a poorly child can be tough. Really tough. So on reflection I don't think we did too badly...

A lie-in with the windows open? A good start. A viewing of the Beatrix Potter's ballet DVD with breakfast in bed? Better. (This was when I dashed around doing all the chores. No Mrs Tiggy-Winkle for me, I'm afraid). Next, a morning-time bath? Better still.

And this was when the theme of the day started. Daisy wanted all her princess dolls in the bubbly bath with her, and she created a bit of a spa for the royal party. When all their hair was washed and combed, everyone had their hair dried with mummy's real hair-dryer and got dressed - including Daisy. Exhausted by all this activity, Daisy organised nap-time for everyone (princesses included) under a blanket in the living room. Thirty minutes and a dose of Calpol later I put on our favourite princess-y song. It's a wonderful lilting waltz from Disney's The Princess and the Frog called Ma Belle Evangeline. To my delight and surprise ma belle Daisy roused herself and gently swayed along to its haunting and beautiful melody.

Look how she lights up the sky
Ma belle Evangeline
So far above me, yet I
know her heart belongs to only me

Je t'adore, je t'aime, Evangeline

Love is beautiful
Love is wonderful
Love is everything
Do you agree?
Mais oui

Look how she lights up the sky
Ma belle Evangeline

Her third and final bout of energy came when she decided the princesses would like an outing on our road rug. Daisy's proclamation, 'Oh, but they need a car!' was when our lovely little craft project of the day began. She wanted to make a car the princesses could fit in. A shoe box? Perfect. An empty pen packet windscreen? Sorted. Toilet roll wheels? Four of those, please. Finally, we painted it rose and added bit of bling with some glitter and shiny stars. Please note the very snazzy gold seatbelts. A lovely touch by Daisy, I thought.

We survived it! But do I hope she feels better by tomorrow, otherwise those princesses are going to have another busy day ... do you agree? Mais Oui.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please leave your comment here.